Webex: Best Practices
Stay Productive from Anywhere
- Find a workspace that's comfortable and productive
- Connect face-to-face using Webex
- Mute your microphone in meetings until you are ready to contribute
- Use a headset to reduce distractions
- If enabled, turn your video on
If you have bandwidth constraints, join the meeting on your laptop and join audio from your phone instead.
Strain on regional Internet service providers and Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) outages or service degradations may impact your Webex meeting experience.
Make it Personal
Your Personal Meeting Room (PMR) is like your virtual office, the door is always open for collaboration with your colleagues - join in the click of a button from your Webex desktop app. The address stays the same - making it easy for you to share the link with others. Think of the Webex Personal Room as always available, you don't have to book it, and you always know where to find it.
Webex Collaboration Meeting Room (CMR): Meet Your Way
Collaboration Meeting Rooms (CMR) allows anyone using the NYS Webex (MeetNY) service to enjoy consistent video collaboration experiences from mobile, desktop, or room systems, with services and solutions that can be used at home or in the office. Users can meet any way they want, instantly, or by scheduling a meeting. Or they can invite others to meet in their own, personalized virtual meeting environment. Whether you are meeting one to one, with a team, or with hundreds of people, CMR can scale to your needs.
Why WebEx Collaboration Meeting Room (CMR)
- Simple: Intuitive controls allow you to create, launch, and join meetings easily
- Proven: Take advantage of industry-leading video and web conferencing
- Scalable: Superior scale can enable over 500 participants to join a single meeting
- Global: Enjoy global reach with consistent quality
One Meeting, One Experience
Meet from any location and share video, voice, and content in Webex Collaboration Meeting Rooms.
Watch Now (2:21 min)
Join a Meeting from a Video Conferencing System
Whether you use Cisco Systems, Polycom, or other SIP or H.323 based video conferencing systems, you can easily connect to a Webex meeting. See this Collaboration Meeting Room (CMR) User Guide for more information
Audio Broadcast Conference Services
When scheduling large events, in addition to choosing your audio options, you can allow participants to hear a one-way audio broadcast through their computer speakers.
Audio Broadcast is perfect for:
- Supporting a large audience of up to 3,000 participants per Webex Event*
- Ensuring a high-quality listening experience through computer speakers for all participants
- Web conferences that don't require two-way audio interaction with all participants
*1,000 attendees is supported by default. For meetings larger than 1,000, please submit a request to ITS for a review of available options and assistance with scheduling.
New Features of MeetNY Webex Version 42.10.6
MeetNY version 42.10.6 includes many new features, while maintaining a simple and powerful user experience that is easier to use.
Benefits to this latest upgrade include:
Streaming and recordings layout is adjusted in-meeting and follows the stage layout
- In a Webex meeting, you can now dynamically adjust the recording and streaming layout within the meeting.
- You can also record the stage that has been synced for all participants and when a meeting host adjusts the synced stage for all participants, the recording, or streaming layout matches the stage layout.
Reorder Participants on the Stage
- You can now reorder the participants you’ve moved on the stage.
- Simply drag and drop the video you’d like to move into the position you’d like or use the "More Options" menu in the video thumbnail, where you can select "Move to First Position."
Enhanced Meeting Security with Auto Admit
- Auto Admit is designed to make your life easier as a meeting host while increasing the security of your meeting.
- This new default behavior allows invitees who are signed into Webex to join a scheduled meeting directly without having to wait in the lobby. No more admitting people in the lobby when they were supposed to be in the meeting anyways.
New Features of MeetNY Webex Assistant
On April 8, 2022, the New York State Office of Information Technology Services (ITS) rolled out expanded feature sets for Cisco Webex Assistant, Automated Closed-Captioning, Simultaneous Interpretation, and Real-Time Translations for the MeetNY environment. Find complete descriptions of these enhancements in the links below.
Enhancements in this Latest Webex Upgrade Include:
- Webex Assistant;
- Automated Closed-Captioning;
- Simultaneous Interpretation; and
- Real-Time Translation (special request only).
Compare Webex Assistant and Automated Closed Captions
Webex Assistant and Automated Closed-Captioning features can make your meetings and events searchable, actionable, and more productive while also making them more accessible to participants who may be hearing-impaired or are attending the virtual meeting in a noisy environment.
Use this information to help decide which feature to use, based on your specific needs.