All of our current vacancies are posted on the StateJobsNY website:
At the NYS Office of Information Technology Services (ITS), we create and deliver innovative solutions that foster a technology-enabled government.
ITS is home to approximately 4,000 professionals who handle the delivery of information technology services to over 50 partner agencies. Our services include innovative mobile app development, the design and creation of fully responsive websites, cyber security, and development and support for mission critical applications.
Our engineers, programmers, architects, and designers collaborate to innovate NYS systems. We work as one connected community of technology professionals- providing opportunities for our employees to build new skills, achieve a higher degree of mastery, and strive for innovative solutions that anticipate our partners' needs, extending into "foreseeable future." We believe our employees are our most important asset and seek creative, motivated individuals to bring depth and knowledge to our team.
ITS offers both technical and non-technical career opportunities, some of which are open to the public. Learn more about applying to ITS in our summary video, "How to Become an ITS Employee in 5 Easy Steps."
Learn more about NYS careers, exams and the hiring process through Civil Service's three-part YouTube video series:
Learn more about ITS and how you can secure your future while building, strengthening, and transforming New York.
Entry Level IT Positions
The NYS Office of Information Technology Services (ITS) Entry Level Opportunities
Our core title series is titled Information Technology Specialist and has a significant career ladder, with two entry level points, for which we are continuously recruiting:
- Information Technology Specialist 1 (general and Programming), SG14: Starting salary currently: $49,202
- Information Technology Specialist 2 (general and Programming), SG18: Starting salary currently: $61,270
These positions are filled via a NYS Civil Service eligible list that is established through a free on-line training and experience questionnaire. Candidates meeting the minimum qualifications indicate job preferences, and complete the questionnaire for immediate placement on a list. As vacancies arise, candidates on the list will receive canvass letters to ascertain interest in specific opportunities.
For additional information, including minimum qualification, and to apply please visit the NYS Civil Service website.
To ensure you are aware of all exam announcements, it is recommended that you sign up to receive announcements via e-mail from Civil Service. You may do this through the NYS Civil Service website.
NYS Office of Information Technology Services Project Positions - Open to the Public
Be a part of IT projects that make a difference for NYS citizens and businesses!
ITS implements technology solutions that provide a dramatically improved experience for customers, expedite business processes, streamline efforts, and provide more opportunities for alternative service delivery. Some of these projects include:
- Modernization of NYS systems: Criminal Justice, DMV, State Police, Child Welfare, Victim Services, Parks, and Health, to name a few.
- Consolidation and sharing of NYS GIS tools
- Standardization of Platforms and Software across NYS
- Data Analysis and Warehouse Redesign
- Refining Disaster Recovery and Response systems
- Standardization of Cyber Security Risk Assessment and Remediation Efforts
Project Assistant, Project Coordinator, and Project Director positions seek specific IT skills required for IT projects throughout the agency. They are open to the public, providing that the candidate meets the minimum qualifications outlined in the vacancy announcement.
Opportunities and related minimum qualifications and salary are posted periodically on StateJobsNY. For ITS specific opportunities open to the public, please visit StateJobsNY.
Contact ITS Human Resource Services at [email protected] or (518) 473-0398.
Are you looking for an exciting and challenging internship experience that allows you to be part of an innovative, growing organization? We offer undergraduate and graduate employment for students throughout the year--summer, winter, spring and fall!
- Work on real-life IT projects that fit with your career interests and are solving real business needs, such as: Cyber Security, Application Development, Mobile Application Design, NYS DMV modernization, E-Licensing, and Health System integrations.
- Contribute to innovative design and development of new products and services to transform the way state government interacts with citizens, businesses, and visitors.
- Gain hands-on experience and thrive in an environment targeted towards raising up the next generation of IT leaders.
At ITS, we believe our employees are our most important asset and seek creative, motivated individuals to bring depth and knowledge to our team. We look for innovative solutions that anticipate our partners' needs, extending into the "foreseeable future." We maintain a working environment that empowers our employees to think and act creatively in the best interest of our organization, agencies and citizens we serve. Be a part of projects that can make a difference!
- Undergraduate: $21.95/hour
- Graduate: $24.62/hour
Each opportunity has unique requirements, but all interested candidates must be/have:
- a US Citizen or foreign national eligible to work in the United States.
- 18 years of age or older.
- a New York State resident or attending a New York State college, university, or graduate program.
- a minimum of one (1) year as a student at a degree-granting two or four-year College or University (completion of one year's worth of academic credits over a more extended period of time may qualify part-time students for participation in the Student Intern Program); or a currently enrolled graduate student or accepted in a graduate degree program.
- a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0.
Preferred degree enrollment and/or skills outlined within the individual opportunities.
Questions? Contact the ITS Diversity and Talent Acquisition team at [email protected] or (518) 473-0398.
- Generous Leave policies (vacation and personal) and paid Holidays
- Convenient Work Schedule Options
- Employee Recognition Program
- NY's 529 College Savings Plan
- Work Site Child Care Centers
- NYS Pension Plan and Retirement Options
- Employee-sponsored Deferred Compensation Plan
- Pre-tax Dependent Care and Health Care Flexible Spending Account
- NYS-Ride, Pre-tax work-related public transportation benefit program
- A choice of Comprehensive Medical Plans for You and Your family
- Dental and Vision Plans
- Family and Medical Leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Disability Benefits
- Sick Leave
- Work Life Services
- Numerous Learning Opportunities Including Access to Over 5,000 Online Courses
- Tuition Reimbursement Opportunities
- On the Job, hands-on Coaching and Training
- Career Advancement & Leadership Development Opportunities
- Career Mobility Office
- Union Benefits
** Information most programs listed above available at: NYS Office of Employee Relations website**
Additional information can be found at the Business Service Center website and the Civil Service website for exam announcements and career opportunities.
Contact ITS Human Resources at [email protected] or (518) 473-0398.