The New York State Office of Information Technology Services (ITS) six-month internship program provides undergraduate and graduate students attending the State University of New York (SUNY) and City University of New York (CUNY) campuses with an opportunity to gain marketable skills, industry certifications, and hands-on experience to complement their academic studies through a paid internship. Program industry certifications will align with the student’s internship placement, college majors, and their existing skill level.
This program will:
- Foster post-graduate employment opportunities with New York State.
- Provide certifications that align with the curriculum in which participating students are enrolled, as well as their existing skill level.
- Support CUNY and SUNY students in gaining necessary workplace skills while learning what it means to be a civil servant.
- Connect students with ITS for possible post-graduation employment opportunities in State service with no requirement that students must stay after their internship has concluded.
- Provide an opportunity for ITS to be the most cutting-edge technology workforce in the US with the best and brightest talent.
The program is open for students in their last year of academic study. Participating students will be paid competitive rates of $21 per hour for undergraduate students and $23.90 for graduate students. Internships will be located in either the Albany or New York City areas and are eligible for a hybrid schedule (50% in the office, and 50% remote).
The criteria for eligibility are as follows:
- Students MUST be either:
- A New York State resident currently attending a CUNY or SUNY college, university, or graduate program; or
- A student currently attending a CUNY or SUNY college, university, or graduate program
- Must be a U.S. citizen or foreign national eligible to work in the U.S.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must be in their last year(s) of study and have completed a minimum of two (2) years as a student at a degree-granting two or four-year college or university (completion of two years’ worth of academic credits over a more extended period may qualify part-time students)
- Must have a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0.
All interns will be required to complete fingerprinting, a background check, and attest to their vaccination status before beginning their internship.
CUNY students interested in learning more should complete the CUNY ITS Internship Form. UAlbany students interested in learning more should contact the College of Emergency Preparedness, Homeland Security, and Cybersecurity.
College/university administrators, faculty, campus leadership, and others interested in more information to share with their communities can complete the Academic Institution Form.
Are the internship opportunities only in New York?
Yes, all internship opportunities will be based in New York State. Our internship opportunities are primarily located in the NYS Capital District region (in and near Albany). We also have limited opportunities for internships in New York City. All student interns are eligible to work a hybrid schedule (50% in the office, 50% remote).
What will my work hours be?
Internship hours range from 20-37.5 hours per week. Interns can work up to 5 days a week, between the hours of 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
How much do the internship positions pay?
- Undergraduate students are compensated at a rate of $21.31 per hour.
- Graduate students are compensated at a rate of $23.90 per hour.
Can I apply if I have an F1 VISA?
ITS/NYS is able to accept interns who hold an F1 Visa. The student's course of study must align with their internship.
Which business units at ITS are accepting interns?
The ITS Chief Technology Office is currently seeking interns in the following program areas:
- Business Application Services - Application Development and Support for 50 State Agencies
- Workplace Services - Device and Software Support for 150k State Employees
- Enterprise Network Services - Building and Maintaining Networks
- Service Delivery - Managing the ITL Processes and Metrics that Drive Improvement and Automation
- Data Center Services - Provides the Support, Operation, and Security for Data Center Facilities
- Shared Platform Services - Foundational Platforms Used to Support Agency Business Applications
- Innovation and Engineering - Web Platform Services
- Innovation and Engineering - User Experience Research and Design
- Innovation and Engineering - Hybrid Cloud Engineering and Automation, Governance
- Innovation and Engineering - Governance, EA, and Emerging Tech