Manually Launching and Installing Microsoft Office 2016
If you are a current Microsoft Office user, and your PC did not receive a Microsoft Office 2016 upgrade (at the same time as the other computers in your NYS Agency), you may be able to manually launch and install the upgrade by following the steps below:
1. Accessing your Computer's Software Center: To access the Software Center on your Computer, Click your computer's "Start" button. Then Click on the Microsoft System Center folder. Finally, Click on the Software Center located within the System Center folder
2. Select the Office 2016 Upgrade from the Software Center: Locate and Click the "Upgrade to Office 2016 C2R 32-bit" icon in the Software Center.
3. Manually Install the Office 2016 Upgrade:After selecting the Upgrade to Office 2016 C2R 32-bit icon, Click Install.
4. Follow Installation Progress: An Installation Progress bar will appear.
5. Restart Your Computer: When the System Restart box appears, Click Restart Now.
6. Log in to Your Computer: Once your computer has restarted, Log In to your Computer.
7. Follow Installation Progress: After restarting your computer a Progress bar will appear. Once the Progress bar disappears, you can LaunchOffice 2016 products from the Start menu.
Reset My Microsoft Office Application Preferences
1. From the Start Menu, open your desired Microsoft Office application (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.)
2. Click File.
3. Click Options.
4. Select from the categories offered in the navigation pane to modify preferences. Click the ballot box to select your options. A check mark will appear for selected options. To deselect uncheck the box.
5. When you have completed all your preference selections from all tabs, click OK to save.
Pin Items To My Task Bar / Start Menu
1. Click on the Microsoft Start button located in the lower left hand side of your screen.
2. Click All Programs. Locate the program you wish to pin.
3. Right click on the program you want.
4. Select Pin to Task Bar and/or Pin to Start Menu as desired.
Create (or Recreate) a Desktop Shortcut
If you wish to create a desktop shortcut for one or more Office 2016 programs, follow these directions:
1. Select the Microsoft Start Button.
2. Click All Programs.
3. Locate your desired Office 2016 Program within your Microsoft Office 2016 folder.
4. Left click on the Microsoft Office Icon you would like as a shortcut create, and drag the icon to your desktop.
The shortcut icon will display on your desktop
Change Your Office 2016 Default File Save Location
When Office 2016 is installed on a computer, the default File Save location installed is called "OneDrive-New York State Office of Information Technology Services." OneDrive is a cloud service. ITS has directed that staff change the default file save location to your O:/ drive.
To change the default File Save location for Office 2016 programs:
1. From the Start Menu, open your desired Microsoft Office 2016 application (Word, in this example).
2. If the Start page opens, click Blank document. A blank document opens.
3. On the File tab, select Options. The Word Options dialog box opens.
4. Along the left-side, select Save.
5. In the Save Documents section, select the check box Save to Computer by default.
6. In the Default local file location field, use the Browse button to browse and select the Documents folder on the O drive. Optional: browse to a subfolder in your Documents folder.
Please repeat the steps above for your remaining MS Office 2016 Programs.
What is Office 365? What kinds of services does Office 365 offer?
Office 365 is a Microsoft subscription allowing access to Office applications and productivity services offered on the Internet. The NYS ITS Office 365 plan includes services such as Skype for Business and OneDrive for Business. The plan also includes the latest Office applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, Publisher, and Access.
What is OneDrive?
OneDrive for Business allows users to store, sync and share work files. Users can update and share files from anywhere, as well as work on documents at the same time as others.
Quick Start Training Videos
- Access 2016
- Excel 2016
- OneNote 2016
- OneDrive 2016
- PowerPoint 2016
- Publisher 2016
- Skype for Business
- Word 2016