ITS's Business Wizard application is a resource that helps prospective business owners determine the New York State permits and licenses they would need to operate a business here in New York.
The Business Wizard is an interactive application that guides individuals and businesses through the requirements to start or expand a business in New York. For licenses and permits that are available in the NYS License Center, the Business Wizard provides links at the end of the process to give the user a seamless transition to begin their applications. Through the Business Wizard, users can:
- Research permitting/licensing requirements for over 400 different business activities, including information on business structures, tax information and employer requirements.
- Review comprehensive profiles on over 1,200 New York business permits, licenses, and registrations.
- Create customized Easy-to-Read Packets about their business activities, including a checklist of requirements and supplemental materials that allows users to print, email or save for future reference.
- Apply online for over 100 business permits/licenses with the ability to apply for multiple permits at one time, pay any fees with a single credit card payment, save incomplete applications to resume processing at a later time, and track the status of submitted online applications.
- Review our Starting a Business information on the Business page of the NYS License Center website. This page contains general filing information for starting a business in New York as well as a downloadable brochure. It is a quick reference guide providing basic information on business structures, tax requirements, and employer responsibilities.
If you still have questions, Business Information Specialists are available weekdays from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm to answer your business start-up questions and help you identify and obtain the NYS business licenses or permits you need to operate a business.