This security update resolves vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer. The most severe of the vulnerabilities could allow remote code execution if a user views a specially crafted webpage using Internet Explorer. An attacker who successfully exploited these vulnerabilities could gain the same user rights as the current user. Customers whose accounts are configured to have fewer user rights on the system could be less impacted than those who operate with administrative user rights.
- Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 10
- Internet Explorer 11
- Internet Explorer 10
- Internet Explorer 9
- Internet Explorer 8
- Internet Explorer 7
The security update addresses the following vulnerabilities:
- Internet Explorer Memory Corruption Vulnerabilities [CVE-2015-2427, CVE-2015-6065, CVE-2015-6066, CVE-2015-6068, CVE-2015-6069, CVE-2015-6070, CVE-2015-6071, CVE-2015-6072, CVE-2015-6074, CVE-2015- 6075, CVE-2015-6076, CVE-2015-6077, CVE-2015-6079, CVE-2015-6080, CE-2015-6081, CVE-2015-6082, CVE-2015-6084, CVE-2015-6085, CVE-2015-6087]
- Microsoft Browser Memory Corruption Vulnerabilities: [CVE-2015-6064, CVE-2015-6073, CVE-2015-6078]
- Internet Explorer Information Disclosure Vulnerability: [CVE-2015-6086]
- Microsoft Browser ASLR Bypass: [CVE-2015-6088]
- Scripting Engine Memory Corruption Vulnerability: [CVE-2015-6089]
These vulnerabilities could allow remote code execution or an elevation of privilege if a user views a specially crafted webpage in Internet Explorer. An attacker who successfully exploits this vulnerability could gain the same user rights as the current user. Depending on the privileges associated with the user, an attacker could install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts with full user rights.
- After appropriate testing, apply appropriate patches provided by Microsoft to vulnerable systems.
- Run all software as a non-privileged user (one without administrative privileges) to diminish the effects of a successful attack.
- Remind users not to visit untrusted websites or follow links provided by unknown or untrusted sources.
- Do not open email attachments from unknown or untrusted sources or suspicious emails from trusted sources.